Physiotherapy includes providing services in situations where the ability to move and function is threatened either by aging or any disorders. Unity Healthcare team of professionals will counsel and support patients to recover from a serious injury or illness so as to achieve full potential to live as full and active lives as possible.
Our team of physiotherapists will :
- Assess the nature and extent of your problems
- Set goals with you, based on what is most important to you
- Provide treatment, support and advice
- Regularly evaluate how you are progressing
The general aim is to improve your strength and mobility and to find ways around any problems. For example, if you have had a fall and fractured your hip joint and been operated upon, your therapist may recommend some equipment to assist you with walking and an exercise programme to improve your balance and strength. Our centre offers support in such situations to maximize the ability of the patient to function optimally within the limitations placed.
Rehabilitation helps you with stamina management in case you’re suffering from asthma, suffered a heart attack, stroke or paralysis or have just recovered from a serious illness. Physiotherapy-led rehabilitation is a clinically and cost-effective intervention for those patients whose life has been adversely changed by injury, illness, disease, chronic fatigue syndrome or following major surgery.
Physiotherapy has proven to be effective in the treatment and management of arthritis, diabetes, stroke and traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and a range of respiratory conditions offering those afflicted with tools and techniques to acquire and maintain an optimum level of function and pain-free living.
Scope of services in the Department of Physiotherapy and rehabilitation:
- Pre-and post-surgical care
- Acute and chronic pain management
- Massage therapy
- Pain relief in backache or knee pain
- Brain tumour
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuromuscular disease
- Traumatic brain injury following a road traffic accident, fall, industrial or sporting accident or assault.
- Cerebrovascular accident (stroke).
- Viral infection of the brain, particularly encephalitis.
- Hypoxic brain damage following, for example, cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, status epilepticus, carbon monoxide poisoning or anaesthetic accident.
- Neurosurgery for head trauma, AVMs, brain tumour removal, clipping or coiling of aneurysm.
- Degenerative disease such as dementias , Parkinson’s Disease or dementia associated with AIDS.
- Provides education and training helping patients regain independence in their daily activities.
- Assess and treat patients with developmental impairments.
The department of physiotherapy and rehabilitation at Unity Hospitals is manned by a dedicated team of Physical therapists and occupational therapists who have a combined experience of more than three decades.
Further, the department can boast of the most comprehensive list of equipment and infrastructure to aid in all types of treatment required by our patients.
The team works in a progressive manner by working along in partnership with the patient, in setting goals and achieving them towards a better quality of life for all.