Nephrology is a specialty of medicine and pediatrics that concerns itself with the kidneys: the study of normal kidney function and kidney problems, the preservation of kidney health and the treatment of kidney problems, from diet and medication to renal replacement therapy (dialysis and kidney transplantation). Systemic conditions that affect the kidneys (such as diabetes and autoimmune disease) and systemic problems that occur as a result of kidney problems (such as renal osteodystrophy and hypertension) are also studied under nephrology.
Unity Hospital's Nephrology Department specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various kidney problems. Our team includes renowned and qualified kidney disease experts. Unity provides the most modern Nephrology service in the city of Mangalore. It is well equipped with 12 Haemo Dialysis Units, Peritoneal Dialysis and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy.
Centre of Excellence in Nephrology provides to patients the following services.
- In-Patient and Out-Patient Dialysis
- Interventional Nephrology
- Kidney Biopsy and cytological diagnosis
- CAPD/ Permacath Insertion
- Pre-transplant workup, renal transplant service and long-term follow up
Dr. Prashanth Kumar K., MBBS, MD, DNB.
Consultant - NephrologyDr. Prashanth Kumar has graduated from the prestigious Kasturba Medical College and brings with him more than 15 years of rich experience in treating Kidney diseases. He may be consulted for treatment of Kidney failure, Diabetic and Hypertensive Kidney disease and conditions requiring short term as well as long term Dialysis.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Full time Experienced and qualified team of Nephrologists
- DIALYSIS unit for all types of kidney diseases functioning 24X7
- Ultra modern Dialysis machine that caters to patients receiving dialysis
- Large Capacity R.O. Water Plant
- Critical care nephrology
- Experienced and well trained nursing staff and technicians
- Separate Dialysis areas for infectious / non-infectious patients
- Separate wash areas for infectious / non-infectious Dialysis accessories